Monday, April 22, 2019

Memories of Frank Beltran by a Member of his Marine 1st Recon Squad (Republic of Vietnam, 1968)


The details concerning Frank’s experiences while assigned to the 1st Marine Corps Recon Battalion, 1st Marine Division was told to me by Sergeant Art Salcedo, a member of Frank’s 1st Marine Recon team. Photographs were obtained from Google Images and are not associated with Frank or Frank's Marine Recon team.

Assigned to Frank’s Recon team on arrival in Vietnam, Art explained how concerned Frank was in training new team members on how to spot enemy booby traps, punji pits, trip wires, and buried mines. “While on patrol,” said Art, “I’d always keep an eye on Frank as he had a sixth sense regarding Viet Cong booby traps. You could see the alarm in Frank’s eyes when he sensed trouble.” When not on patrol, the team spent their time relaxing, reading, and writing letters home. Art recalled how Frank would add a line to Art’s letters to his mother. “Frank had a skill in writing backward and would add a line to many of my letters home. I had to explain to my mother how to read Frank’s message by holding the letter up to a mirror,” recalled Art. At their base camp, Frank had scrounged several sheets of plywood to build a series of storage lockers around his bunk to house his books, magazines, and personal effects. Art remembers that Frank’s storage lockers were very well built which was a surprise given the shortage of materials and lack of proper tools.

Being a Marine reconnaissance unit, Frank and Art spent weeks at a time in the jungle. According to Art, Frank’s skill in detecting signs of enemy movements and in spotting enemy booby traps gave the team a feeling of confidence while on patrol in enemy territory. Art claimed that Frank could smell the enemy minutes before the rest of the team were able to recognize the scent. Given Frank’s skill in spotting danger, he often walked point ahead of his team, exposing himself to initial enemy fire. “Frank was a Marine’s Marine,” according to those on his team. “Frank should have been an officer,” said Art, “He was smart and had great leadership skills.” 

While on a routine patrol, Frank decided to cook up a mulligan stew using his steel helmet as a cooking pot. He then asked his Marines to contribute something from their field rations. Art remembers the stew was actually very good thanks to the condiments Frank always carried in his backpack. It was little things like this that Frank did to help his squad members deal with the tension of being on patrol in enemy territory.

While on one of their frequent patrols, the team came upon a group of Vietnamese kids that invited them to their village. When the group reached the river, they were greeted by several village men in dugout canoes waiting for them. The team split up, got into the several canoes, and headed down the river to the village. Art and Frank, in canoes side-by-side, were talking about their upcoming visit as their hosts paddled to the village. Art noticed an old man in the front of his canoe was rummaging through a straw basket – a danger signal to an experienced combat Marine. Before Art could signal Frank, the grinning old man stood up with a fragmentation grenade in his hand. Art remembers shouting to Frank in the other dugout, “he’s got a frag.” Before Art could unholster his .45  sidearm, the old man had dropped the grenade into the river. Within seconds, the grenade exploded sending a column of water into the air drenching Art. As the shock of a potential fragging evaporated, Art noticed that a number of stunned fish had floated to the surface of the river. It appeared that the grinning old man was charged with securing lunch for his guests and he decided that fish would be something he could easily harvest on the trip back to the village. According to Art, while most of the team nervously sat eating with village elders, Frank was in the middle of a large group of village kids excited over their Marine guests. According to Art, Frank eagerly sought out any chance to interact with the local citizens. Frank may have been a combat Marine but he had real compassion for the people of South Vietnam.

Frank’s Last Day on Hill 200

The Recon team was assigned to an outpost on Hill 200 overlooking a jungle clearing from which enemy troops might launch an attack. The team had been in the outpost for several days when Frank told Art of a series of dreams that he had over several nights. While on watch one night, Frank told Art of his dreams.

“Art, I don’t think I’m going to make it home,” said Frank.

“We all have bad dreams – don’t let it upset you,” replied Art

“I was on a bus back home in Rochester. I was walking down the aisle looking for a seat when I saw my sister. When I looked at my sister she immediately started screaming,” said Frank.

Sometime later on Hill 200, Frank and Art were on watch. Art was in a pit manning a machine gun and noticed Frank a little further down the hill in the communications bunker. 

“I could see that Frank was preparing to cook something,” said Art. 

A minute or so later, Frank came up to Art’s position.

 “Hey Todo (Art’s nickname), would you like a cup of hot chocolate,” asked Frank.

“Sure, would love one,” replied Art.

Frank returned to the communications bunker and, within a minute or so, returned with a cup of hot chocolate that he handed up to Art. 

“As I sipped my hot chocolate, I could hear Frank raking the C-ration cans into the wire. A minute or so later I heard an explosion and knew that Frank was gone,” said Art

To defend the outpost if attacked, claymore mines are typically deployed around the perimeter. When detonated by its trigger device, 700 steel balls are sprayed towards the enemy by about 1.5 pounds of C4 plastic explosive; however, the explosion also produces a backblast that’s deadly up to 50 feet behind the exploding mine. Frank had been policing up the area just inside the razor wire perimeter where Marines had tossed their empty C-ration cans. According to Art, Frank had been raking the empty C-ration cans into the concertina wire. In addition to making the area less cluttered, the empty cans will make noise if the VC tried sneaking in through the wire – a common tactic.

While raking the empty C-ration cans, Frank must have accidentally tangled his rake in the razor wire. As Frank pulled the rake free from the wire, a trigger device for one of the claymore mines that had been hung on the wire fell to the ground triggering the mine. The resulting backblast killed Frank instantly. Once the shock of Frank’s death passed, a medevac chopper was then called in to retrieve his body (photo shows typical evacuation - not Frank's). Several days later, Frank’s team members returned to base camp in order to pack his personal effects for shipment home. Over fifty years later, the memory of that day still brings a tear to the eyes of Frank’s 1st Recon members. 

9 Comments:

Blogger Marlena Leach said...

Thank you for this information. Frank was my neighbor and high school classmate. We graduated the same year. He was the nicest boy. Always smiled, quite, and a bit shy. He was our paperboy for a while. I can still see us walking home from school and saying high as we passed each other on the street. Many years have passed, and I still keep Frank in my prayers. I was out of town when I heard of Frank's passing. I was stunned as everyone was. We grew up in a small village. Everyone new everyone. This was a heartbreaker for us all. Your writing brings closure to me. I always wondered how he died. Is it important to know? For me, it helps how I pray for him. When I read his words on the back of his graduation picture that he wrote to me that is how I remember him, forever young. R.I.P.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for writing about my brother. Although, he was younger, he was my hero, not only for being a Marine, but also for the life he led. He is and always be in my thoughts and prayers. My only son is named after him and has similar values and traits. Rick

10:17 PM  
Blogger Laura M. said...

Thank you for writing this. He was my uncle and these details are precious! A truly beautiful tribute.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so very much for posting this. Frank was my brother also. The accolades and memories live on. Even fifty years later. This answers a lot of questions that I have had for fifty years. He was a hero, and a very rare person indeed.

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. Frank was my uncle and I wish I'd had the opportunity to know him. I will never forget this.

6:03 PM  
Blogger BobbyV said...

I am attempting to get some photos of Frank and his Recon Team. If successful, I'll scan them and make them available on the ER Connection FB page.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bobby, Frank's sister Mary K has passed. In April. If you do get those pictures, I sure would like to have access them to share w/family. I am not on Facebook but do have email. Thank you as always. Blessings to you and yours.

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frankie..is my hero..my big brother..I am looking forward to the day i will be with him again..my mom and 2 sisters, Dee and Mary K are with him now.xo Mickey

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Robert Beltran said...

Frank was my brother, and a twin of my sister Julia. I have many great memories of him growing up and his use of my 1965 Mustang auto that he would use with some of his friends. When he was at home before joining the Marines he would walk around the block and he had many little boys and girls walking with him. He was a leader in his last two years of High School he became the class President, he was crowned King, and he formed the largest Boy's Fraternity. He also petition the town board for a place to have the teenagers a place to hang out off the street. They found a place at the end of Commercial street near where Crossman' Seeds was located. Teenagers can be any school and police by members of other schools to keep out anyone over 19 years of age. Frank was a down to earth young man. He also would help any one who needed help with their studies. For many of classmates, didn't know what he did with a few of his closest friends like Rusty La Delpha Larry Schwock and others. It was around January or February it was extremely cold that night near Zero, so he and some of his friends got a hold of my mothers old sheet and on the living floor he painted up a sign that said" BEAT EAST ROCHESTER" Yeah " Fairport " with a "Knife jab into the "Brown Bomber ", they then got a pail of water and soak the sheet in it and took it to the school. Frank knew how to get into the school very late at night around 2-3 AM they went into the school and he went to the roof and plastered the sheet to the outside wall and it froze to the wall. The reason he did so was the school spirt was very low with the upcoming Football game with Fairport. The very next day was Friday when the school would have the Pep Assembly to get the Student Body in a frenzy to beat the Red Raiders. The body of students wanted to go in a car caravan to Fairport to raise hell thinking that Fairport broke into their school and put up that frozen sign. Somehow he put a stop to it. He stated later if the student body found out that he did it, they would murder him for it. The football game was played and Fairport won the game!!! Frank was always thinking. I have photos of him from the time he was a baby with my sister Julie in 1948, I was 11 years old then and my brother was 10 years old. When we were notified of his death I was at my mom's house on Garfield Street, my Aunt an Uncle Bush was up from Florida and my sister Mickey was out with her friends camping or something like that, and we wanted her home before she would hear of it on the radio. My mother was working at the time and we had to get her home before she heard about too. So we devised a plan saying my Aunt had an accident at home which by the way was her older sister. It truly was a very sad day for all of us involved. I think of my kid brother a lot and I have his Marine Corp. Picture on our stand in the living room. Frank has been gone now 52 Years as of January 5 2021, August 11th is the date of his death. Rest in Peace my brother I love you and miss you very much. Bob Beltran





7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home